19 March 2008

Water underfoot

There's a soft splashing, clanging sound as I walk between the buildings. I look down and see a layer of water under my feet. A metal grill is slightly below the surface, what I'm walking on. In the distance, I can see a hole in the grill. A man dressed in a dark suit with dark shades walks up to the edge, and looks around. He takes off his shades and dives in.

I reach the edge of the grill where he jumped in, and look down into the murky depths. I can see him swimming underwater, a short distance away. Suddenly he seems to be struggling, then he sinks deeper, until I can see him no more.

I dive in, and start swimming. I'm under a building heading towards a lit opening ahead. I don't look down, holding my breath and ignoring everything but the light. I reach a ladder that descends below me and start climbing it. I gasp for breath as I break the surface and carry on climbing the ladder a short distance. I pause a while getting my breath back. Looking up towards the light, I continue climbing until I reach the straps hanging down. I strap myself in, an wait until a sudden updraught lifts me high... I'm up in the sky hanging on a parachute looking down at the city far below, water all around.

No comments: