28 August 2008

Waiting for Linux...

I can't remember the last time I tried Linux. It always offered so much promise, but then failed to deliver. So, I decided to try building a Linux box again. Since I've upgraded to a newer PC, I put my Athlon 2200+ to one side for Linux. I installed the latest Ubuntu...

  1. Oh dear no network. I tried a seperate card and that worked; then I remembered, I'd disabled the on board network of my A7N8X mobo. Hmm, put that down to user error. However I did go a-hunting on the net and found a few comments about the network not working on A7N8X mobo's.
  2. I couldn't get the graphics card to recognise my iiyama LCD display. Even without the KVM switch, it refused to let me choose any resolution other than 640x480. After a bit of tweaking, I finally got it to run in 1280x1024 mode.
Ah yes, Linux. I remember it well. It just... doesn't... quite... work. That's why trying an Apple Mac was such a breathe of fresh air. It actually works! Wow!

No comments: